Sunday, February 7, 2016

Week 5 Reading Reflection

1) One thing that stood out to me was that there are actually "rules" for securing a patent. I thought honestly that you simply just apply to the patent office and thats it, but these rules are legit!

2) I am confused about the difference between the rights securing ways. Specifically, I mean the difference between patents, copyrights, and trademarks. They all seem to me like you are protecting some kind of property and claiming it rightfully yours, so whats the difference?

3) Two things I would like to ask the author would be, as I just stated, to really explain to me the difference between copyrights, trademarks, and patents. These seem like very important aspects of business law and I would really like to understand those differences. Also, I really would like to ask the author why "trade secrets" cannot be protected as patents, trademarks, or copyrights. That way, I can know how to fully protect my trade secrets in the future.

4) The author says to always trust an attorney about a problem with a mark, but I disagree. Yes, most of the time, it is good to trust the attorney, but sometimes there might be reason not to. Corporate espionage goes far, and the attorney could secretly illegally work for competitors, or have a personal bias against a mark you decide on. So, maybe trust an attorney most of the time, but take his opinion with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment